I knew I had a hit here when my oldest daughter said after the first bite, “Yum, it tastes like healthy Mac & Cheese!” You could easily substitute the Swiss chard for spinach, or even peas would taste great. Simple recipe, that comes together quickly. Enjoy!
1 lb box of Rigatoni noodles
1⁄2 cup vegetable broth, hot
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
1 large bunch Swiss Chard, leaves only – chopped into bit sized pieces
1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (more for topping if desired)
1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese (I used whole milk from Trader Joe’s)
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Cook rigatoni according to package directions in generously salted water, drain and set aside.
2. Heat vegetable broth in a small saucepan over low heat. Keep hot until ready to use.
3. Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat.
4. Add garlic, stir.
5. Add swiss chard leaves, stir.
6. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until chard is wilted.
7. Stir in 1⁄4 cup hot vegetable broth.
8. Cook for 2 minutes.
9. Remove from heat, and stir into rigatoni.
10. Add parmesan to rigatoni mixture, stir.
11. Add ricotta to rigatoni mixture, stir.
12. If the rigatoni seems dry at this point, add small amounts of vegetable broth until desired creaminess is reached.
13. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
14. Serve immediately, top with extra parmesan if desired.
**Check out some of the items I used here by clicking on the Amazon link below. This link is an affiliate link, your purchase costs will be the same but The Masala Girl will automatically receive a small commission, thanks for your support. 🙂