Happy Meatless Monday folks!
Did you know that tonight is the Harvest Moon (in Pisces), & the last full moon of summer 2021?
Although I’m sad to say goodbye to beach days, Fall is my favorite season.
I bring up the moon, not because I’m great with astrology (although I love it!), but because I know my body/mind feels it’s best when I sync my internal rhythm with the rhythm of nature. Our diet and lifestyle choices should counter the effects of each season, for optimal mind/body balance.
Nature in her wisdom knows just what we need to do that, so I choose seasonal fruits & veggies as inspiration for my cooking.
Which brings me to my Meatless Monday dish, Spiced Rainbow Chard with Harvest Grains.
This flavorful dish is quick & easy, and comes together all in one pot.
Rainbow chard is high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants – 1 cup provides more than 300% of the daily value for vitamin K!
Vitamin K helps your body heal and keeps your bones healthy too.
I used groovy Indian spices like turmeric, coriander, & garam masala, along with cilantro & rainbow chard from my Farm Fresh To You box & Trader Joe’s “Harvest Grains Blend” to put this baby together. Check out the recipe below!
Spiced Rainbow Chard with Harvest Grains
2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 curry leaves
3 cups finely chopped rainbow chard – discard
1 teaspoon ginger
1/3 cup raw whole cashews
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/8 teaspoon Hing/Asafetida
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, or salt to taste
a few grinds of fresh black pepper
1 1/4 cups Trader Joe’s “Harvest Blend”
1 3/4 cups boiling water
cilantro 1/2 cup – roughly chopped
fresh mint – 2 tablespoons finely chopped (do this at the very end or it will turn brown)
1. Heat oil in large wok or pot over medium heat.
2. Add cumin seeds & curry leaves. Stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant – be careful not to burn.
3. Add chard and ginger. Tossing often until chard is wilted, about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add cashews & raisins, toss.
5. Add hing, garam masala, coriander, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
6. Toss until everything is well coated in spices.
7. Add “Harvest Blend”. Toss and cook for 1 min.
8. Add boiling water, stir gently to combine and then cover.
9. Reduce heat to low and cook for 12 to 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
10. Remove lid and add mint. Toss & serve. Enjoy!
***I like to remove the curry leaves before serving. Add a dollop of your favorite plain yogurt with a sprinkle of roasted cumin powder to make it next level.