Creamy Fall Curry with Sweet Potato for Meatless Monday! Scroll down for the recipe.
Fall has me wearing flip flops, or grabbing a sweater…it’s this time of transition in nature & within ourselves. What we are craving on our plates is a reflection of what our bodies are needing for nourishment – not talking about french fries lol.
Seasonal foods are an essential part of balancing mind/body during this time. Maybe you’re craving a salad or a smoothie on those sunny days, or a comforting warm meal when the temps drop.
I whipped up this creamy curry for lunch today with veggies from my Farm Fresh to You box (#ad). It’s got sweet potato, carrots, and red bell pepper – as well as spices like garam masala, cumin, & coriander with coconut milk.
Comfort foods, routine (meditation is my anchor), & a helluva lot of moisturizer is how I embrace the Fall season. How about you?
Want to try a Farm Fresh to You box delivered straight to your door? Use my code SADH8439 over at https://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/ to get $15 off your first delivery of organic fruits & veggies.
Creamy Fall Curry with Sweet Potato
3 medium sweet potatoes (just over 3 cups) rinsed, peeled, and chopped into bite sized pieces.
1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite sized pieces.
1 large carrot, chopped into bite sized pieces.
2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, plus 1 tablespoon for oven-roasting sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
6 curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon hing
1 dried red chili (optional)
1 red onion (roughly 1 cup, fine dice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, plus a dash for oven-roasting sweet potatoes
A few grinds of black pepper, plus extra for oven-roasting sweet potatoes
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 can full fat coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup cilantro for garnish
1/4 cup roasted and salted peanuts roughly chopped for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°f
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. Place prepared sweet potatoes on baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Use your hands to toss sweet potatoes to coat with oil, salt and pepper.
2. Put potatoes into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally until just tender. Do not over bake.
3. Remove potatoes from oven and set aside.
4. Heat oil over medium in a wok or large pot. Add cumin & mustard seeds, stir. When mustard seeds start to pop and crackle…
5. Add curry leaves, stir. Add hing and red chili, stir.
6. Add onions. Cook stirring frequently until onions are translucent and tender, roughly 5 to 7 minutes.
7. Add garlic and ginger, stir.
8. Add turmeric, garam masala, coriander, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir frequently for roughly 30 seconds.
9. Add carrots and red pepper. Stir.
10. Add vegetable broth. Stir and cook for a minute.
11. Reduce heat to medium/low and add coconut milk and cook covered for 10 minutes.
12. Add sweet potatoes, stir. Cover and cook roughly 10 minutes or until all veggies are tender.
13. Remove from heat, add lime juice. Stir.
14. Garnish with cilantro and peanuts. Serve with rice or roti.
Peas & Love,