Happy Meatless Monday! Here is a tasty pasta recipe my Father in Law shared with me on his recent visit. The addition of red peppers to the tomatoes adds an incredible amount of flavor to the sauce. (Vegetarians note: goat or parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top tastes great.) Enjoy!
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar (more or less to cut the acidity)
1 tablespoon sweet paprika powder
4 large Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 14.5oz box bow tie pasta
1⁄4 cup basil, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over med/high heat.
- Add red peppers, stir.
- Cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to heat to low.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring frequently, so garlic does not burn.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, sugar, and paprika, stir.
- Add tomatoes, stir.
- Add vegetable broth, stir.
- Increase heat to high, and bring red pepper mixture to a boil.
- When red pepper mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Cook sauce uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- (After 30 minutest you can use an immersion blender to blend out some chunks if desired.)
- Cook pasta according to package directions in generously salted water, drain and set aside.
- Add basil to sauce, stir.
- Continue to cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta. Enjoy!
**Check out some of the items I used here by clicking on the Amazon link below. This link is an affiliate link, your purchase costs will be the same but The Masala Girl will automatically receive a small commission, thanks for your support. 🙂