Happy Monday! Starting off the week here with one of the pastas that is always in heavy rotation at our house. It’s a kid and adult pleaser. The addition of baby kale is pretty much undetectable in the sauce, as the basil is still the star here. This pasta would happily accept the addition of any grilled veggies stirred in at the end. Enjoy!
2 cups packed, rinsed and dry fresh basil leaves
1 cup packed, rinsed and dry fresh baby kale
1 clove garlic
1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
2 heaping tablespoons roasted and salted Marcona almonds (Trader Joe’s carries these), or any roasted and salted almonds
1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb pasta of your choice (I used medium shells), cooked according to package directions
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pulse basil, kale, garlic, Parmesan, almonds, and olive oil in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pot cook pasta according to package directions in salted water. Drain.
- Return pasta to pot and stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter, to coat pasta. (Whole wheat and multigrain type pastas may require 3 tablespoons, but you don’t want it overly greasy)
- Add pesto to pasta and stir to combine and coat pasta completely with basil mixture.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with extra Parmesan cheese if desired.
**Check out some of the items I used here by clicking on the Amazon link below. This link is an affiliate link, your purchase costs will be the same but The Masala Girl will automatically receive a small commission, thanks for your support. 🙂