I LOVE fall vegetables and flavors. The first time my mom made this dish I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. I’ve had ravioli, lasagna, salad, etc with Butternut Squash – but nothing with a taste of India before. The sweetness of the squash and the exotic spices really compliment each other, and make for a delicious combination. This recipe is pretty quick and easy thanks to the packaged pre-cut Butternut Squash. Not too many ingredients and a fairly quick cook time means I can make this on a week night when there isn’t much time. I bought all the ingredients except for the spices from Trader Joes. The fire roasted tomatoes at Trader Joes have some chilies in them, which gives this dish an extra kick (it’s great with regular fire roasted tomatoes as well). Enjoy!
3 tablespoons ghee or mild flavored oil of your choice
1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
6 to 8 curry leaves (fresh or frozen)
Two 12 oz. packages Butternut Squash (cut into bite size chunks)
1⁄4 heaped teaspoon Turmeric
Dash Cayenne pepper
1⁄2 cup fire roasted tomatoes
Salt to taste (I used 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt)
1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
1⁄3 cup Marcona Almonds with Rosemary (available at Trader Joes) or Roasted and Salted peanuts
1. Heat ghee or oil in large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add mustard seeds.
3. When mustard seeds start to pop add curry leaves, stir.
4. Add the Butternut Squash, stir.
5. After 2 minutes add turmeric, cayenne pepper, and salt.
6. Saute until a few pieces of squash are golden brown (about 7 to 8 minutes).
7. Add tomatoes, stir and cover skillet.
8. Reduce heat to low, and cook (stirring occasionally) for 15 minutes.
9. Add cilantro and nuts, cover and cook until squash is tender.
10. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
**Check out some of the items I used here by clicking on the Amazon link below. This link is an affiliate link, your purchase costs will be the same but The Masala Girl will automatically receive a small commission, thanks for your support. 🙂