I had some leftover cabbage and potatoes from St. Patrick’s Day, so I whipped up this exotic version of cabbage & potatoes with my Mom. It’s quick, easy, mildly spiced, healthy and delicious. Enjoy!
2 tablespoons ghee, or oil of choice
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 medium potatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces
Salt to taste
1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 head of cabbage, quartered and roughly chopped into large pieces (discard the core)
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated with a microplane
1⁄2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1. In a large wok or large skillet heat ghee or oil over medium heat.
2. Add cumin seeds and stir until slightly browned, roughly 30 seconds.
3. Add potatoes, stir, and add salt.
4. Add turmeric, cumin powder and cayenne, stir and cover.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes stirring occasionally, until potatoes are almost fork tender.
6. Add cabbage, ginger, and Garam Masala.
7. Using two large spoons fold the cabbage mixture into the potatoes, until cabbage is well coated with spices. Add additional salt to taste if desired.
8. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender.
9. Serve and enjoy!
**Check out some of the items I used here by clicking on the Amazon link below. This link is an affiliate link, your purchase costs will be the same but The Masala Girl will automatically receive a small commission, thanks for your support. 🙂