If you are a chili fan, you will love this dish. Rich in exotic flavors, and plenty of protein from the kidney beans – this is one of our family favorites. Delicious served over rice, or with the flatbread of your choice. Enjoy!
3 tablespoons oil of choice
2 bay leaves
2 black cardamom, whole
3 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup onions, finely chopped
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon Garam Masala, divided
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper or Kashmiri Mirch (add more if you like heat)
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced or put through garlic press
1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, or salt to taste
2 15oz cans kidney beans drained, reserving 1 cup of liquid
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Sour Cream (1/2 cup, or 1/4 cup depending on desired creaminess)
- Place turmeric, cumin, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons water, and stir to form a paste.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add bay leaves, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add onions, stir.
- Sauté onions stirring frequently until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add masala paste.
- Cook for 1 minute stirring frequently.
- Add ginger and garlic, stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and salt.
- Increase heat to medium high and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add kidney beans, stir and then mash some of the beans.
- Cook stirring frequently for 3 minutes.
- Add reserved bean liquid and 1 cup boiling water, stir.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala, stir.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cilantro, stir.
- Add sour cream, stir. Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Remove bay leaves, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon stick, serve.
**Check out some of the items I used here by clicking on the Amazon link below. This link is an affiliate link, your purchase costs will be the same but The Masala Girl will automatically receive a small commission, thanks for your support. 🙂